The O'Brien Barn is located on O'Brien Farms which is a 6th generation
family farm located 4 miles southwest of Oregon, WI.. The farm was
first started by Louis O'Brien in 1909 descendant of
Cornelius O'Brien who came from Ireland in 1830, and then to
Wisconsin 1853. The O'Brien Barn was erected in 1938 by Louis
O'Brien and son Maurice.
Over the years the Barn was home to
many generations of horses (back when horsepower meant actual
horses) cattle, cats, barn swallows, and raccons. Maurice
(son of Louis) added 40 feet to the barn in the 30's after a tornado
ripped off the end. Dan and Mark O'Brien (Maurices sons and
current owners) spent many years milking and decided to hang up
their stools in 1999. After many years of collecting dust
and used for intermittent storage, Connie O'Brien, Dan's daughter, and
soon to be husband, Dale Nelson, talked Dan and Mark into
letting them cleanup the place for their wedding in 2004. It took a
year and a half of renovating .
The Barn is approxiamately 90 x 40 feet. It has two levels, the
upstairs being a large hay mow with a stage for music and
downstairs made up is cement and stone walls where they used to milk.
Two sets of stairs have been created to the hay mound area. The milk
has been converted to restrooms.